Sunday, October 27, 2013

Yummy Halloween "Finger Sandwiches"


My Halloween menu always includes lots of edible creepy crawlies and gore filled treats. The grosser the better! Go all out this Halloween with my favorite creepy recipe, “Finger Sandwiches”.





I invented this monstrosity purely by accident. If you’re from upstate New York like me chances are you know what a “Speedie Sandwich” is. After moving to Colorado I realized that the rest of the world was missing out on this delectable dish. I made it my mission to recreate the recipe. Once perfected though my kids were not at all fond of the strong flavors that make them so delicious to us grown-ups. So I altered the recipe to make it more sweet and savory, rather than just savory, by adding pomegranate dressing. At first sight my kids (and I have to admit me as well) were not sure about this chicken. As you can see it looks really gross. Like body parts floating in a dish. However once I coaxed them into taking a bite they loved it. I won't be making this for a dinner party any time soon but do plan to serve this every year for Halloween dinner.

Ingredients:
1 package of chicken tenderloins
1 cup pomegranate vinaigrette dressing
¼ cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
loaf of Italian bread

Make a marinade by whisking together all of the ingredients except for the chicken and bread.  Add chicken to the marinate, cover with a tight fitting lid.  Refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally.  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Chicken is done once the center is no longer pink.

Place one-tenderloin on the bread. Enjoy!

1 comment: